Tuesday, October 25, 2005

R.I.P. Wellington Mara & Rosa Park

Although I am a Jets fan (how unfortunate for me), I cannot even begin to say what a class act and what a wonderful person Wellington Mara was...I don't want to steal anything from Giants fans as they grieve but his story is the story of the NFL. With him, the NFL became a league and became a dominant force in pro sports which is a hugmongous part of our lives. He brought leagues together, strung championship banner after championship banner up in his stadiums over the course of many decades, and you never heard him say a thing negative. Not when one of his employees made a mistake or got in trouble and he certainly never said anything in defeat. In fact you very rarely heard from him at all. He was there though and he was as instrumental as anyone in making football the success it is in this country...more so in my opinion. It is interesting to me that he died within 24 hours of another great American named Rosa Parks...She was brave when others around her couldn't be and she did with the smallest action what speeches,screaming and hollering could not do and still don't do today...not to compare the two in any way as individuals but more to point out the similar cumulative effect they both had on society as a whole. With their genuine class and quiet dignity they both championed their passion into something greater than themselves. It is a sad day for America as we lose these two people who in my opinion did more to change the landscape of our culture than we can recognize at this time.





Rest In Peace

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said indeed Gadfly. As a Giant fan and a fan of humanity I couldnt have said it any better myself.

Go Big Blue!!!

Jimbo said...

Didn't know Wellington Mara died.

As far as Rosa Parks, ya know, she did what she did, but she worked like 20 years for John Conyers who is a member of the communist party. Okay, so she did one good thing in her life. She's a frickin communist. I don't think that's in doubt at all is it?

Anonymous said...

It is not Jim, nor is the fact that she was not the first to refuse her seat to whitey...others before her were as brave if not more so and suffered greatly for it, however she had the political connections...so thats that. Sometimes the symbolism of the man is greater than the man himself.

Go Giants!!!

Mookie McFly said...

It's a doggie dog world and sometimes I feel like I am wearing milkbone underwear, said Norm Peterson...But seriously, she did one great thing. I have heard communist rumblings before on this site and usually the accusations are hurled at me! So if you want to call other people communists, feel free! Come on now communists are people too! Seriously though a job is a job. Just like working for a mafia run company doesn't mean that you are a member of La Cosa Nostra...playing for the Yankees doesn't make you evil...working for the government doesn't make you a whore...oh wait a second scratch those last two!

Anonymous said...

Snoop? Is that you?

Anonymous said...

And let us not forget...

MINNEAPOLIS, Oct. 21 (AP) - Gordon Lee, who as a chubby child actor played Spanky McFarland's little brother, Porky, in "Little Rascals" comedies, died on Sunday in Minneapolis. He was 71.

Mookie McFly said...

I wonder if Bill Cosby is going to send his family a care package? To me the greatest single crime of the last twenty years is that kids who stay home playing sick can no longer watch the Little Rascals on TV pretending to do the same thing...I don't remember the whole episode but I know it used to make me feel so guilty...I'd like to grab Bill Cosby and shove a pudding pop where the sun don't shine...then drop him in my washing machine and make him spin round and round and round!

Rhino-itall said...

What Rosa Parks did for a living i don't think is important, what she did to begin the bus strike and propel the civil rights movement is what she will and should be remembered for. Plus i never heard the commie thing before so i don't think she could have been too effective. by the way helen keller was a pinko as well.

Mookie McFly said...

All I want to know is, how come I don't run into more deaf,dumb and blind chicks...I meant, I think I could really connect with them. Ah, the perfect wife is but a fleeting glimpse...I'd make her read grail off my crotch. I might go to hell but oh the stories i could tell!

Anonymous said...

Ah sweet grail, braille written with gravy... delicious with biscuits.

Mookie McFly said...

My bad...Typo but i guess you got the point...You know who I always sort of had a thing for...Mary from Little House on the Prairie...I'm not sure if she was really blind but I'd sure like to find out! Oh and Laura Dern from that movie mask...Eric Stoltz never looked so good...

Anonymous said...

And the math award goes to
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
ROCKY DENNIS

Jimbo said...

Helen Keller was a pinko, but she was deaf and blind - I don't think I need to comment further on that one. ;)

Jimbo said...

I liked Porky...he was the most innocent of the Rascals. While all the rest of them were subversive, Porky was just plain stupid.

Otay!